Sunday, January 29, 2012

curried shrimp over Israeli couscous with mango salsa

This winter has felt a little dull here in Minnesota. Yes, I really am grateful for the warmer than usual weather we have had but lately it has just felt wet and gray. Things just need a little zip or something.

When I am restless with the season I find it reflected in my cooking. On the hottest day of this summer, I made a roast in the oven for the first time. Around the end of August when I was looking forward to fall, I began baking everything with pumpkin added in. Today I must have been craving a tropical spring break because all I wanted to eat was mango salsa so i knew I had to figure out a meal to satisfy my cravings. However seasonally askew the ingredients for this meal were, let me tell you that the results were spot-on. Even my husband, who is wary of anything even remotely Indian flavored, declared this dish to be one of his favorite meals that I have ever cooked. The reason that I think this dish "works", is that the Israeli couscous is creamy and mellow, the shrimp hot and slightly curried, and the salsa served on top is cold, crunch, and tangy. If this meal were viewed as a relationship, it would be a case of opposites attracting. So here you go friends and make this meal if you wish. It sure is cheaper than a flight to the tropics this time of year.


Curried Shrimp over Israeli Couscous with Mango Salsa
Serves 4
Ingredients:
1 lb medium to large shrimp
2 cups uncooked Israeli couscous
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
one handful of fresh spinach
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 lime, juiced
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
2 Tbs olive oil
2 mangoes, cut and cubed
1/4 cup finely diced red onion
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
salt
red pepper flakes

Directions:
Salsa- Combine the cubed mango pieces in a bowl with the diced onions, chopped cilantro, red pepper and jalapeno. Cover the ingredients with the juice of a lime. Salt and red pepper the salsa to taste.

Israeli Couscous- This stuff is so fun. The little balls are chewy and it doesn't clump like traditional couscous does. I get it at Cub or Byerlys in the Jewish foods section, Trader Joes might have it but I am not sure. Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a pot. Add the couscous to the broth, cover and simmer on low for 8-10 minutes. During the last 2 minutes of cooking time, I add a handful of roughly torn or quickly chopped baby spinach leaves to the pot to increase the nutrition content of the meal a tad. This is also when I add the lemon juice.

Shrimp- Dry your shrimp with a paper towel. Put the shrimp into a bowl and cover with the olive oil and curry powder. Add a sprinkling of red pepper flakes if you want a little spice and then mix gently with a spoon or your hands. Heat a large frying pan to medium-high heat and cook the shrimp for 2-3 minutes per side depending on their size.

To plate this meal I spooned the couscous onto a dinner plate, followed by the shrimp, and finally topped with the mango salsa. Making the salsa is the most time intensive part of this meal due to the chopping but it really only takes 10 minutes or less to make. If the salsa is made in advance you can get dinner on the table in 15 minutes. Thanks to Luke's approval this will be on frequent rotation in our little household. 


No comments:

Post a Comment