Friday, July 1, 2011

Patriotic Pops

It is toasty here in the Twin Cities. No complaints from me because I was wearing a sweatshirt last week, so bring on summer. My white legs were wondering if they would see the sun at all this season. To be prepared for the heat, Luke and I went to Target to buy a fan. Fans these days are high tech! The one Luke picked out has a remote control and timer. Who knew we were suffering with plain fans all these years? Near the checkout was the summer clearance section. Look what I picked up:

Yup these things remind me of my childhood. We would just fill them with plain orange juice and freeze away. Luke remembered not liking them. Being the competitive person I am, I decided to make the most awesome popsicles ever and prove him wrong. I love you hunny :)

This may very well be the ugliest photo on my blog. Reality is sometimes deceptively ugly. These are my trusty magic bullet cups containing the delicious smoothie popsicle ingredients. 

Layered popsicles! Yum. Healthy too.

To create these pops, I used a mixed bag of Trader Joe's frozen berries. The top layer is strawberries and raspberries with a little lemon juice for tang. I blended that with a bit of juice to make the mixture smooth. I filled the molds up a third of the way full and put in the freezer for 30 minutes. Next up is the sorta white layer made of banana, frozen pineapple, and milk. They are mixed in the magic bullet and then poured in the mold filling half of the remaining empty space. The final layer is blueberries and blackberries. The colors of our flag are red, white, and purple right? It turned out pretty close to blue at least, next time I will add more blueberries and less blackberries. The final layer was added after the white layer had been in the freezer firming up for 30 minutes. These are sooo good and a perfect cooling snack on a hot day. In my case today, it was a delicious breakfast treat.

Have a wonderful, safe, and fun holiday weekend friends. What treats will you be eating to celebrate?

No comments:

Post a Comment