Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Best Banana Bread

Yup, this is the best banana bread recipe, I am sure of it. The result is so moist, flavorful, and beautiful. Pretty too right?

The recipe came from this book. My sweet Mom and sister created it as a gift for one of my bridal showers. It contains all my family's favorite recipes along with some embarrassing pictures of us all eating. What a meaningful gift for a girl just starting to cook. I think the recipe originally came from a newspaper.

Famous Banana Bread (that's what it's called)
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup buttermilk or yogurt
1 cup mashed browned bananas
2 1/4 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
optional chocolate chips or chopped walnuts ( none for me, I like this bread simple)

In a large mixing bowl blend butter and sugar well. I do this for the entire time I get the rest of the ingredients prepped and ready. Continue mixing, adding eggs one at a time, then buttermilk, then bananas. Mix the flour, soda, and salt in a small bowl, add to mixer bowl, blending thoroughly. Pour into a greased 9x5 loaf pan. Bake at 325 degrees for one hour or so, until a toothpick comes out clean. This freezes well: wrap in foil, seal in plastic bag. Also makes good muffins.

I hope you enjoy this and really do test the bread to make sure it is finished cooking. My first time trying this recipe last week I didn't and it was still raw in the middle but I had already removed the loaf from the baking pan. It collapsed. I had a little temper tantrum, went to bed, and cleaned it up in the morning. Sad. 




No comments:

Post a Comment